Frequently Asked Questions

Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police?

Dispatch Operators are trained to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness.  On emergency calls, the operator has already sent the information to the officer while asking the addition questions.

Why did it take so long for the police to arrive when I called them?

All requests for police service are assigned by priority, based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property.  At times, calls of less urgent nature must be delayed so that we may respond immediately to emergencies.

How do I get a copy of a police report?

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office Records Division is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, and closed on holidays. If you cannot come to the Sheriff's Office, your report can be mailed if you send a self addressed stamped envelope along with the case number and a money order with the proper fee amount to:

Douglas County Sheriff's Office
Attn: Records Division
1036 SE Douglas Avenue
Roseburg, Oregon  97470

Click Here For A List Of Common Fees

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when visiting hours are, or additional information about the jail?

You can visit the Corrections Division web page.  If your questions are not answered there you can call 541-440-4440.

Can I make a police report at any time of day or do I need an appointment?

The Sheriff's Office will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to requests for police assistance.  To find out more, visit our report information web page.

Can I make a police report over the phone or does a police officer have to come to my house?

Some reports may be made over the telephone.  This will depend on the type of offense you are reporting.

Who can I call to get information pertaining to crime prevention/ Neighborhood watch programs?

Please visit our Crime Prevention web page, or you may call the Sheriff's Office at (541) 440-4450.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

The Sheriff's Office depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The Dispatch Operator who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature. You may be asked if an officer may contact you, but you may request not to be contacted.

How do I apply for a position with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

Please visit our Employment Opportunities web page.  You may also contact the Sheriff's Administrative Assistant Angie Stoffal at (541) 957-4778. Or you can email her at