Date/Time of Release: 11/26/2012 - 14:30
Contact Person: Andrea Zielinski
Contact Number: 541-440-4486
Subject: Mail Thefts Reported
Date/Time of Incident: 11/26/2012 - 00:00
Incident Location: Douglas County
Case Number: N/A
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office is noticing an increasing amount of mail theft being reported throughout Douglas County. Unknown subjects are removing incoming and outgoing mail from mailboxes looking for gift cards, checks, credit cards, bank statements, social security numbers, and any other type of information to steal your identity and/or money.
Many criminals know that mail sent during the holidays often contains gift cards, cash or checks, so it's important to take some precautions. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office is asking citizens to be aware of the increasing number of mail thefts in our community and to take the following precautions to prevent them from becoming victims:
* When mailing anything containing account numbers, personal infromation, gift cards or checks, take them to your local post office or hand deliver them to your postal worker.
* Inform your UPS, DHL or Fed Ex driver not to leave packages at the residence when you are not home, this is an open invitation to thieves.
* If you plan on being away from home, have a family member or a trusted neighbor collect your mail DAILY.
* Do not place any mail in your mailbox overnight.
* Report mail thefts to your local Law Enforcement agency.
* Be cautious and report anything suspicious to your local Law Enforcement agency.