Concealed Handgun Licenses
The Sheriff's Office issues concealed handgun licenses for the residents of Douglas County. Each new applicant fills out an application, is fingerprinted, photographed and an extensive criminal, civil, and mental health background check is conducted. Applications are accepted by appointment only.
You may schedule an appointment online.
Renewal applications are currently being accepted by mail. The Sheriff's Office will mail a renewal letter which explains the process. If you have moved from the time of your last appointment and have not yet updated your address with the Concealed Handgun License Unit, you may not receive the renewal letter. You may obtain a renewal application under "Helpful Documents" on the right side of the screen. Please complete the application and return it to the Sheriff's Office along with the renewal fee. If you choose not to renew by mail, you may schedule an appointment.
To qualify for a concealed handgun license, all applicants must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a U.S. citizen or meet Immigration and Naturalization requirements
- Be a resident of Douglas County Oregon
- Never have been convicted of a felony
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last four years
- Have no outstanding warrants, or free on any form of pretrial release
- Have never been committed to the Mental Health and Developmental Disability Services Division, or have been found to be mentally ill and subject to an order prohibiting purchasing or possessing firearms because of mental illness.
- Provide written documentation from a firearms safety course utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or a law enforcement agency or participation in the military service with handgun training indicated
- Pass a background check
- Not be subject to a citation or an order for stalking or an order issued under the Family Abuse Prevention Act
- Must not be required to register as a sex offender in any state
Complete your handgun training online through the Oregon State Sheriff's Association.
At the time of appointment the following must be presented:
- Appropriate fees
- Completed application
- Proof of competency with a handgun
- Two types of identification
Two forms of ID are required, one of which must be a photo ID. Types of ID that are acceptable include:
- A valid drivers license or state issued ID card
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- A U.S. Passport
- Certificate of Citizenship
- FFS240 (Foreign Service Document) issued at birth
- Original Naturalized Citizenship Certificate
- New Applications: $115
(Note: This amount includes a fingerprint processing fee)
- Renewals: $75
- Transfer from Another County: $30
- Transfer and Renewal from Another County: $90
- Address Change within Douglas County or Name Change: $15
- Duplicate Card: $15
- Reinstatement: $75
These fees are non-refundable and cover the cost of the background investigation and processing required by law.
Upon completion of the required research, the application will be submitted to the Sheriff for final approval. Upon approval, the completed permit will be mailed to the applicant.
Permits are valid in the state of Oregon and are good for four years from the date of issuance.
Applications may be downloaded online or they can be picked up any time at the Sheriff's Office in Roseburg.
Need More Information?
For more information call 541-957-2021 or 800-331-6848, ext. 2021.