- About Us
About Douglas County
Douglas County is located in southern Oregon between the cities of Medford and Eugene. Our 5,071 square mile county stretches from the Pacific Ocean at Winchester Bay, to 9,182 foot Mt. Thielsen in the Cascade Mountain range. The Douglas County Sheriff's Office, located in Roseburg, Oregon, is made up of more than 100 law enforcement officers and 50 civilian members.
In concert with other agencies and the citizens of Douglas County, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office strives to preserve the quality of life in our community by maintaining Douglas County as a safe place to live, work and visit.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office is committed to providing for the peace and security of the citizens and visitors to our county.
- We are committed to excellence and efficiency in our services and in our work.
- Integrity is the hallmark of the deputies who serve you. We are committed to the highest performance standards, ethical conduct, truthfulness, and moral behavior in all relations.
- We hold ourselves accountable for our actions, and take pride in our professional level of service.
- We treat all persons in a dignified and courteous manner.
- Respect, understanding, compassion, empathy, fairness and service are the cornerstones of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
Code of Ethics of the Office of the Sheriff
As a constitutionally elected Sheriff, I recognize and accept that I am given a special trust and confidence by the citizens and employees whom I have been elected to serve, represent, and manage. This trust and confidence is my bond to ensure that I shall behave and act according to the highest personal and professional standards. In furtherance of this pledge, I will abide by the following Code of Ethics:
- I shall ensure that I and my employees, in the performance of our duties, will enforce and administer the law according to the standards of the U.S. Constitution and applicable State Constitutions and statutes so that equal protection of the law is guaranteed to everyone. To that end, I shall not permit personal opinions, party affiliations, or consideration of the status of others to alter or lessen this standard of treatment of others.
- I shall establish, promulgate, and enforce a set of standards of behavior of my employees, which will govern the overall management and operation of the law enforcement functions, court related activities, and corrections operations of my agency.
- I shall not tolerate nor condone brutal or inhumane treatment of others by my employees, nor shall I permit or condone inhumane or brutal treatment of inmates in my care and custody.
- I shall follow the accepted principles of efficient and effective administration and management as the principle criteria for my judgments and decisions in the allocation of resources and services in law enforcement, court related and corrections functions of my office.
- I shall hire and promote only those employees or others who are the very best candidates for a position according to accepted standards of objectivity and merit. I shall not permit other factors to influence hiring or promotion practices.
- I shall ensure that all employees are granted and receive relevant training and supervision in the performance of their duties so that competent and excellent service is provided by the Office of the Sheriff.
- I shall ensure that during my tenure as Sheriff, I shall not use the Office of Sheriff for private gain.
- I accept and will adhere to this code of ethics. In so doing, I also accept responsibility for encouraging others in my profession to abide by this Code.